ABX Grant Frequently Asked Questions
Updated March 2022
1. Who qualifies to apply? Only San Diego County teachers, whether in public or charter K-12 schools, are eligible to apply.
2. What is the first thing I should do before applying for field trip funding?
Applicants will create their own user ID and password on the application webpage that allows them to register one time with basic contact information. Applicants will now be able to track their application through the approval process. Applicants will no longer be required to re-type their contact information as long as they are working at the same school. Teachers can save their application online and return to complete it at a later time.
3. What criteria do you use to approve field trip funding? Funding is approved on a first come first served and case by case basis. ABX strives to spread its limited funding across as many school districts, schools and teachers as possible. To approve the funding request in whole or in part, ABX will consider the following criteria:
* Is this the first application submitted by this teacher in the last 12 months?
* Is this the first application submitted from this school?
* How many students and grade levels are participating?
* What is the estimated average cost per student?
* How appropriate is the field trip subject matter?
* What is the student/chaperone ratio?
* How well does the trip benefit the students’ overall educational
4. How early can a teacher submit an application? Teachers are encouraged to submit an application as early as reasonably possible. ABX will not send notice of approval any earlier than 90 days prior to the planned field trip.
5. How late can a teacher submit a Grant application? Any submission of an application that is within 30 days of the planned field trip date does not allow the time required to give the application full consideration. Venues and transportation providers also require sufficient time to schedule staff and/or drivers. Short notice is likely to be denied.
6. What expenses does the funding cover? Funds for on-site field trips cover transportation expenses only including driver, mileage and bus. Funds do not cover entry and docent fees for on-site field trips. Funds for virtual field trips cover the preparation, time and materials for the presenter. Funds are limited and not all applications can be approved. You may receive partial funding for a field trip if the cost per student is excessive and far above the average cost per student.
7. Does ABX own buses? No, ABX does not own any buses and only provides funding to cover transportation costs, which can also include public bus, trolley, train, and van transportation.
8. Are ABX funded field trips required to adhere to San Diego County and California State Educational standards? Absolutely! Proposed field trips must align with California State and San Diego County Educational standards which need to be clearly presented by you on the application.
9. What if the field trip is delayed or canceled not to the fault of the teacher? ABX is not liable for any unexpected costs associated with your field trip including late cancellations or schedule changes. With notice prior to the planned date of the field trip, ABX will consider extending the funding for as long as 90 days.
10. What if the Transportation Provider’s invoice doesn’t match up with the ABX initial funding award amount? ABX will pay the invoice plus or minus 10%.
11. What information do I need prior to starting the application? You can start the application and save it without finishing it. However, the basic information you will need to get you off to a good start includes:
District and school name/phone number.
Principal name and email.
Lead teacher contact information (name, cell phone, email). Please note we may need to reach you after school hours.
Name of venue/program.
Description of activities prior to and after the field trip as appropriate.
Explanation of benefits to the students.
Name, email, and cell phone numbers of other teachers participating.
Number of students per grade level
For On-Site Field Trips:
o Number of chaperones (most venues limit 1 adult per 8 -10 students).
Chaperones may be required to drive their own vehicles to ensure their
children have a bus seat.
o Number of buses required.
o Bus Provider contact information (name, phone, email)
o The estimated cost of a bus load of students.
o Any special needs for students you must consider.
12. How do I obtain an estimated cost of a busload of students? Please contact your bus provider or district accounting administrator for estimates. Typically, 64 first graders can fit on a single standard size bus while 40 high school students can fit on the same bus. If you do not have a bus yard, contact a private carrier such as those listed below. ABX does not endorse any one of these listed. They must require all appropriate insurance and certifications to transport students.
Grand Pacific Charter (760) 945-8400 firstname.lastname@example.org
Northstar Transportation (760) 715-8349 email@example.com
Student Transportation of America (760) 746-0850
Sun Diego Charter (619) 404-2920 firstname.lastname@example.org
Sundance Stage Lines (619) 525-1570 email@example.com
Wess Transportation Co. (760) 741-9953 firstname.lastname@example.org
13. What happens once I submit my application online? Upon submission of your application, the following activities will occur:
You will receive an automatic email that your application has been received.
The ABX Program Administrator will review your application for completeness. You will receive an email from ABX in 3-to-5 business days notifying you of the status of your application, whether more information is needed, or if the application has been denied or approved in whole or in part. A voucher will be attached to this email notice. Your voucher will be valid for your planned event only. The voucher also will be sent to your venue and/or transportation provider.
Should you need to cancel or reschedule your planned field trip, please notify ArtsBusXpress immediately at email@example.com.
Vouchers for field trips approved and not taken or rescheduled during the same fiscal year will automatically be canceled.
Transportation providers will require the teacher to submit a specific request for use of a bus. Please inform the transportation provider that you have been awarded funding for the on-site field trip.
For on-site field trips, please request an invoice from the district office, school or directly from the bus yard or private carrier to be sent to ArtsBusXpress by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by regular mail for payment within thirty (30) days of the date the field trip is completed. ArtsBusXpress will pay invoices within thirty (30) days of receipt. For invoice amounts greater than the approved funding, the school is responsible for the difference. Be sure to follow your district policies in issuing invoices.
After the field trip, teachers must complete an online trip report explaining the success and impact on the students from an educational perspective. You are encouraged to submit student letters, drawings, digital photos, and poems about their experience. These inspire new donors to help us continue to fund exciting STEAM based field trips. Any photos received will be considered approved by the parents and teachers for general publication.